December 16, 2015
We wish you a happy holiday season and look forward to working with you in 2016!
Join NaBITA Today!
In NaBITA's monthly newsletter we share a Tip of the Week, spotlight a resource relevant to the field, provide news, and share information about our upcoming events. In addition, each NaBITA newsletter brings you information relevant to the field of behavioral intervention and prevention, with current events and relevant resources. If you like the newsletter, we hope you will join NaBITA so that you can receive the weekly version of this great member benefit. Click here for more information.
NaBITA is pleased to spotlight Recommendations for Reporting On Suicide, a publication from the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) and several other organizations. This guide provides practical recommendations for covering suicide in ways that can change public perceptions and correct myths.
Tip of the Week
Throughout the month of December, all NaBITA newsletters will reflect previously published Tips to provide our readership with a summary of the year's focus and work. It's our hope that you will reflect upon these items during your winter break with a fresh perspective that will allow you to refocus and reenergize your work in the spring.
Thank you for your dedication to your professional development, your institution, and your field. We look forward to working with and learning from you in 2016!
April 22, 2015
Q: How do we blend the operations of a CARE team when we also have a faculty-driven classroom management policy, which allows faculty to remove a student from the classroom for behavioral reasons without involving our CARE team?
To read the complete Tip, click here.
May 13, 2015
A BIT About Veterans
One topic that comes up frequently during our NaBITA trainings and certification events is how to manage the potentially complicated issues connected to veterans on our campuses. We frequently use examples with veterans because this is a population near and dear to the NaBITA family and as such, I wanted to take a moment to clarify some ideas around this population.
To read the complete Tip, click here.
June 24, 2015
Community College Challenges
One of the benefits to my work is getting to spend a large amount of time providing trainings for community and technical colleges. This dedicated group of professionals has some unique challenges when it comes to implementing a BIT on their campuses.
To read the complete Tip, click here.
A Series of Easy-to-Use Video Training and Skill-Building Tools
The NCHERM Group's Online Trainings now offers a series of easy-to-use video training tools to help Behavioral Intervention Team members and conduct officials hone their skills. Each video offers a brief vignette lasting just a few minutes, in which a student and administrator talk about an incident. Supplemental materials include a transcript of the video, a leaders' guide, and set of questions and answers for use in training and discussion applications, plus a set of key takeaways from each case. Buy only the videos you want for $119 each, or get them all for $419. Learn more about the videos in our series and how to purchase for your campus here.
Upcoming NaBITA Training Events
- January 7 & 8, 2016
New Orleans, LA
Hosted by Tulane University
Registration deadline is Friday, December 18, 2015.
- June 7 & 8, 2016
Hosted by Ramapo College of New Jersey
Registration deadline is Friday, June 3, 2016.
Hosting a NaBITA Training Event
If your campus is interested in learning more about hosting a NaBITA training event or need information on additional training opportunities from our organization, please email Alisha DiGiandomenico, Assistant Vice President for Client Relations, or call at (610) 644-3387.
Should your campus/school/organization look to host an on-campus, public training event, NaBITA is currently collecting Request for Proposals for campus host sites for the 2016 calendar year.
For more information, click here.
A Window Into BIT
A Window Into BIT is a video-based training tool to enhance campus BIT and student of concern team professional development. Watch national behavioral intervention team experts and campus practitioners model a BIT meeting as they role-play key team roles. The one-hour video comes with a detailed transcript, sample documentation from the meeting, and discussion questions for your team to use as a training tool to better understand how to develop and improve BIT meetings.
What does a Behavioral Intervention Team meeting actually look like? How do counseling, conduct and residential life talk together about cases? How is the NaBITA rubric used in a meeting? When should an assessment be required? At what point should the SIVRA-35 or other tools be utilized? How are action plans developed? In what order are cases discussed? How is documentation handled? How are conflicts between departments resolved?
Watch how team members communicate with each other and put the NaBITA threat assessment tool to use in rating over a dozen varied cases. Learn how to attend to parental notification, apply OCR guidance, the ADA and Title IX to cases. Watch how the experts model interactions designed to reduce silos while building connection between the varied departments in the simulation. Listen to the discussions around mandated assessment, how counseling works with conduct, and how the BIT chair keeps the team focused and on task.
To view the 10-minute sample preview and for more information about ordering A Window Into BIT for $299.99, please click here.
Maintain Certification with the Continuing Certification Credit (CCC) Program
Has your BIT been certified by NaBITA? Are you considering obtaining these certifications? Do you benefit from ongoing professional development from The NCHERM Group? If so, the CCC program is for you. The NCHERM Group heard your requests to update and renew your certifications online, and is pleased to offer an online professional development platform called the Continuing Certification Credit (CCC) program.
Who can earn CCCs? Our CCC program allows clients of The NCHERM Group, including those certified by NaBITA, to track, maintain and extend their professional development through our programs. CCCs are a cost-effective way to stay current and maintain your certification from the nation’s leader in higher education risk management.
Learn about our program here.
The NCHERM Group Online Trainings is an endeavor to provide quality, distance learning education and discussion opportunities to colleges and universities across the country and around the world.
Bringing experts from numerous fields, The NCHERM Group and its affiliated associations, SCOPE, ATIXA and NaBITA, will bring you quality programs that address the most pressing needs in threat assessment, prevention education, sexual assault prevention, higher education legal issues, administrative best practices and risk management.
Recent Online Training Recordings Available for Purchase here
- October 16, 2013: Readmission Requirements Following a Psychological Crisis
- November 1, 2013: Addressing Disruptive and Dangerous Student Behavior in the Classroom
- November 6, 2013: Training Front Office Staff to Identify, Report and Manage Disruptive and Dangerous Behavior
- November 19, 2013: Managing the Suicidal Student on Campus
- November 20, 2013: Forensic Threat Assessment: Hire a Specialist or Train Existing Staff?
- January 7, 2014: Post-vention and Suicide Response
- February 11, 2014: The Role of Mental Health Professionals on the BIT
- February 13, 2014: Air Traffic Control for Helicopter Parents
- March 19, 2014: Fighting Mid-Semester Burnout and Stress
- March 25, 2014: Ten Practical Ways to Reduce Liability for Suicidal Students on Campus
- March 26, 2014: Addressing Two Dilemmas in Counseling: Mandated Treatment and Clery Reporting
- April 8, 2014: Title IX and BITs
- April 22, 2014: Counseling and Conduct: Working Together
- May 8, 2014: Should I Write this Down? BIT Documentation Do's and Don'ts
- June 11, 2014: International Student Arrival: Preparing Your Campus's Faculty and Staff
- June 12, 2014: Update on Title IX and Compliance
- June 26, 2014: Separating Dangerousness from Anger: Assessing True Threat
- July 11, 2014: Issues of Gender Violence in LGBT Communities
- July 15, 2014: Responding to a Student Death
- July 16, 2014: Managing Faculty and Staff Expectations Following a BIT Intervention
- September 8, 2014: Update on the NaBITA Tool: What's New?
- October 6, 2014: BIT and Case Management Notes:101
- October 21, 2014: Best Practices in Program Evaluation
- October 23, 2014: Navigating the Intersection of FERPA & Title IX
- October 29, 2014: Addressing Risk Management for Study Abroad Programs
- November 4, 2014: How To Manage, Supervise & Energize Difficult Staff: A Proactive Approach
- December 2, 2014: When Social Media & Title IX Collide: What Colleges Need To Know About Gossip Sites, Free Speech & Proactive Policies
- December 18, 2014: Federal Changes in Policy Concerning Suicidal & Dangerous Students: A Review of Three Legal Cases
- February 17, 2015: How to Advertise your BIT
- April 15, 2015: Addressing Microaggression and Cultural Issues on the BIT
- June 1, 2015: Implementing the ATIXA One Policy, One Process Model
- June 4, 2015: Counseling and Community Colleges: Doing It Well
- July 17, 2015: Creating, Implementing and Applying Climate Surveys
- August 6, 2015: Key Issues Facing Community Colleges
- September 1, 2015: Best Practices in Retaining Community College Students to Graduation
- September 11, 2015: Conducting Hazing Investigations
- November 3, 2015: Developing and Assessing BIT Structure and Function: An Online Discussion
- December 3, 2015: Consent and Blackouts: The Legal, Psychological and Prevention Perspectives
- December 11, 2015: Title IX Investigations and Technology: Eight Emerging and Common Issues
Looking for more topics? Click here for a list of upcoming Webinar Collaborations presented by The NCHERM Group experts, sponsored by Innovative Educators.
Resources Available for Purchase
Links to Relevant Articles
NaBITA has created a Job Board page on our website for you to share any BIT-related job openings on your campus. You can find this resource at http://nabita.org/resources/job-board/. Please email any position announcements to email@example.com.
Case Manager – Morgan State University
Membership Renewal Reminder
If your NaBITA membership expires in November, December or January, now is the time to renew. Renew your NaBITA campus membership or join for the very first time for as low as $639! Please download our membership renewal form here, or click here to renew online.
For more information on NaBITA, visit www.nabita.org or contact:
1109 Lancaster Avenue *new*
Berwyn, PA 19312